Steven Butler, M.Ed., LCT, CCC
My name is Steven Butler (he/him/his) and I am a Licensed Counselling Therapist (LCT) with the College of Counselling Therapists of New Brunswick (CCTNB) and a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC) with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA).
As a gay/queer therapist, I understand the unique challenges and experiences that can arise within the LGBTQ+ community. In my office, you'll find a warm and supportive environment where you can openly discuss your thoughts, feelings, and concerns. I'm passionate about working in the community and bettering the lives of New Brunswickers.
I use Person-Centered, trauma informed & humanistic approaches, elements of queer theory, affirmative therapy, narrative therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), emotion focused, solution focused, acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and positive psychology.
I hold a Bachelor of Arts (BA) from St. Thomas University and a Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Counselling Psychology from the University of New Brunswick.
My approach to counselling is first and foremost directed at providing a comfortable, welcoming, non-judgemental space. I meet you where you are at and go from there.
I am also trained in using Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing or EMDR. This is a form of treatment originally used for folks who lived through trauma; but has been found to be effective in treating many other mental health conditions.
During sessions we will work together to create goals, foster resilience, gain skills and coping strategies to empower you to work towards change and combat your negative thinking to ultimately improve your well-being.
I recognize the importance of diversity and cultural identity and I will work to understand your beliefs, values, and traditions and how to implement them into your plan. I work at being anti-racist, non heteronormative, and affirming.
I am a Professional Member of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and am WPATH trained in trans and gender non-conforming health. As such, I work under the WPATH Standards of Care version 8 to provide letters of support for gender affirming surgeries and hormone affirming therapy.
Some examples include:
In-Office & Virtual Sessions available for folks residing in New Brunswick.
There were many drafted and tabled logos and names when thinking about a name that adequately reflects me, my personality, and my general approach to counselling.
I settled on The Big Friendly Therapist (The BFT) because, while growing up, I was frequently referred to as "The Big Friendly Giant (The BFG)" in honour of Roald Dahl's beloved character of the same name. I've always been a person of sizeable stature (should you decide to come meet with me in person, you'll notice that I'm 6'4), and I felt the name The BFT is also a testament to my friendly personality.
My hope is that the name itself also offers a more welcoming and tongue-in-cheek reference to counselling and psychology.
· Counselling at a Distance: Using Video Telephone and Text-Based Methods to Connect with Clients (May 2020)
· Working with Transgender & Gender Non-Conforming Clients in New Brunswick (July 2020)
· IWK Symposium: Integrated Care for Gender Dysphoric, Gender Non-Binary, and Transgender Children into Adulthood Symposium Part 1: Introduction to Trans*Health Basics (October 2020)
· IWK Symposium: Integrated Care for Gender Dysphoric, Gender Non-Binary, and Transgender Children into Adulthood Symposium Part 2: Advance Mental Health Concepts (October 2020)
· Becoming Known - Advanced Topics: Parts Work with Eating Disorders, Anxiety & Attachment Injury in Adults (November 2020)
· Our Landing Place Conference - Queering Mental Health: A Canadian Perspective
· WPATH Advanced Mental Health Course (May 2021)
· 2SLGBTQ+ Inclusive Trauma-Informed Care (May 2021)
· Adult Attachment: Trauma-Informed Assessment and Treatment Interventions Across Diagnosis (May 2021)
· Basic EMDR Training - Envision Academy (June 2021)
· WPATH Foundations Course (August 2021)
· Understanding and Addressing Issues of Gender Identity and Sexuality When Working with Trauma Survivors Through Trauma-Informed Care Approaches (November 2021)
· Clinical Consultation Group – Françoise Susset, Psy.D., Psychologist, WPATH Focus (August 2021 – August 2022)
· Dissociation 101: The Basics (January 2022)
· Our Landing Place Conference - Queering Mental Health
· WPATH 2022 - 27th Scientific Symposium (September 2022)
· Clinical Consultation Group – Lisette Lahana, LCSW, WPATH Focus (June 2023 – ongoing)
· DBT in the Real World: Practical Skills Training Adapted for ANY Setting! (September 2023)
· Foundations of CBT (November 2023)
· IFS Immersion: Integrating Internal Family Systems (IFS) Across Clinical Applications (ongoing)
Copyright © 2023 Steven Butler, The Big Friendly Therapist (The BFT) - All Rights Reserved.